CURRENT PROJECT:

Tyranids Hive Fleet Hades

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Stage 3: Carapace Shading

Shading of the Carapace on my Termagaunt test subjects is complete. This was more time consuming that I thought it might be, and could very well boil down to skill. I'm kinda picky on how things look and wanted to get the look just right.

I layered over the base coats with Gorthor Brown, Karak Stone, and Ushabti Bone. These were done in successive layers using a feathering technique gradually advancing the lighter colors as I went. After which I used an Agrax Earthshade to tone it back and blend in all the colors. This came out quite striking and better than I thought it would.

Once the shades are dry, I plan to highlight two more successive highlights, and touch up the eyes and any recesses and black lines. I'm also contemplating highlighting the body color to a brighter green, but I don't want to get to bright.




More to follow! I'm really enjoying the color on these test bugs, and can't wait to start painting some bigger creatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment